Monday 31 March 2008

Clicker Training

I have already given my opinion on training cats to do tricks, its not something that I personally want to do. Its not that I believe it to be wrong or cruel, it is just down to my individual preference. Some cats may even enjoy it, in fact I would say they almost certainly do, have you ever tried to get a cat to do something it didn’t want to?!
However, one aspect of cat training that could be very useful is Clicker Training especially when used to train a cat away from unwanted behaviour.

Let me say right from the outset that I have never tried this, but the reports I have heard seem very positive and it seems to work effectively on older cats. It is based upon using positive reinforcement and rewarding good behaviour.

Apparently the art is to find something that motivates your cat. Mostly, but not exclusively, this would be food.

Initially you need to “charge” the clicker. You do this by pressing the clicker and follow this by giving your cat a treat. This can take some time for pussy to work out that clicks means treats.
But when the cat has picked up that clicks are positive, you can go on to build and mould positive cat behaviour by clicking when your cat does something right.

Clickers can be bought, but anything that clicks will do, even a biro pen!

No comments: