Saturday 29 March 2008

Nasty neighbours (or nasty human behaviour)

Cats have a licence t roam. True. But what happens when your cat strays into a neighbours garden and scrabs up some prized petunias or poos in a flower pot?

One thing we must understand as cat lovers is, that not everyone shares our enthusiasm. Now I know this mat come as a shock, but it is true none the less. So we must always be aware that our cats can sometimes offend, however unintentionally.

Many years ago my family (including cat) and I moved into a new house. After some time we settled in to our new surroundings and got to know the people in the area. I got chatting with my neighbour one day and he mentioned that my cat had been straying into his garden and inferred that “if he got his hands on it he would throttle it”
Now, I was much younger and much more fiery in those days so lets just say that my response was far less than diplomatic ! Needless to say the conflict worsened and a few weeks later my cat was found dead in a waste bin.

Sorry to bring this blog down but just want to emphasise the fact that there are many out there who regard cats as little more than vermin.

My advise would be, try and understand that there are many, many reasons why some people will go to almost any extreme to stop your cat invading their space. Always try where possible to reach a compromise. Maybe offer to clean up any mess or repair any damage and try to be sympathetic to their concerns.

Of course there will always be those who will not want to talk and who threaten drastic action towards your cat. If you have the misfortune to come into contact with these type of unfortunate people, you have my sympathies. Try to keep your cool and remind them of the penalties given to those who are wilfully cruel to animals.

It is always a good idea to have your cat neutered for a number of reasons, but it will also help to stop the straying too far.
Jenny

No comments: